Sunday, October 4, 2015

Day 4: The Freezer



Read the previous entry in this series:  Day 3: The Fridge is an Elephant or start at the beginning with the introduction: 5 Ways Clutter Costs.

We are blessed.

Not only do we have an upright freezer--but it is stocked with meat and vegetables, meals in a box for times I am too busy to cook and jams and broths and pre-made home made meals from those times when I was not. All of it, I realise, in the context of everyone who eats in the entire world (and that, hopefully, would be everyone, though sadly is not) we are extremely fortunate.



Looking after the food in my freezer is just good stewardship of our resources. Yesterday, I defined clutter as things out of line with my intentions. Well, one of my intentions is to live according to our values--and good stewardship is one of them.

This touches on what I want my home to be. In part, it is to be a refuge from the world, (I'm an introvert in an extrovert's job). It is, more importantly, to be a place that supports and reflects our values. And clutter is my greatest enemy to living my values (Well, OK, maybe fear (and the accompanying cowardice) is my greatest enemy--but clutter is right up there on the list.)

Have you thought about why you want to declutter? Have you thought about the purpose of your home?

The owner of any business will tell you that inventory is money--but it's money that's frozen, tied up, already spent and not doing any good, yet. That's how I feel about the food in my freezer. When we get low on funds, I look to my freezer and do my best to eat through it before we buy more. (Yep, frugality is another value!)

We need to do that again.

I took all the food out and put it in laundry baskets which I covered with towels. Then I held my breath. Would the freezer defrost before the food thawed?



Chris and I went out--and when we returned about five hours after I emptied the freezer--everything was fine. The raspberries from the garden and a few jars of homemade chicken broth were just starting to thaw a bit.

I keep my food organized so I can quickly see what I have when I plan my meals. (We'll talk more about that tomorrow.)



It doesn't stay like this--other people put away the groceries sometimes and don't pay attention to where things go. But it's a good foundation.

 Read the next entry in this series Day 5: Recipes (and Menu Planning)

********************************************************
If you enjoyed this post, be sure to catch them all. Sign up to have each post delivered to your e-mail.






*********************************************************

3 comments :

Marian said...

This is such a good series, Alana, and I'm so glad you talked about stewardship with regards to the food in the freezer. Food waste is, sadly, so endemic ... and it's heartbreaking in a world where people go hungry.

Alana in Canada said...

Marian, youmay be interested in a book I've just come across. Check out this Q&A with the author of: Waste Free Kitchen handbook. https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/why-do-we-waste-so-much-food-and-how-can-we-do-better/2015/09/23/19052fb6-616d-11e5-b38e-06883aacba64_story.html

Unknown said...

I love your attitude! I know I've been wasteful at times by buying more food than I need. I've bought things on sale and told myself that I'm saving money but if food stays too long in the freezer, it ends up freezer-burned and becomes money down the drain.

Oddly enough, I've been working away trying to get the freezer emptied out by eating through it. Now that my husband and I are empty nesters, I need to think more carefully about the quantity of food I buy.

Your freezer looks so nice and organized! I understand how things start out organized but somehow or other become jumbled. Kids/teenagers 'happen'!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...