Sunday, October 25, 2015

Day 25: Finish up an Unfinished Project



Read the previous entry in this series:  Day 24: Craft Supplies or Tools, Your Choice or start at the beginning with the Introduction: 5 Ways Clutter Costs.


I remember the first time I realised that unfinished projects counted as clutter. All of a sudden, it felt like I had permission to do them. They no longer had to wait for that mythical day when everything was done and I just had all this time on my hands. Almost immediately, I embarked on an extravaganza I called the anti-procrastination project. In 2013, every day for the month of May, I did one thing I'd been putting off. I felt pretty good by the end of the month.

Sort of how I felt when I finished this project.


from 2010 to 2015


This is the upstairs hallway. This bit of wall and the linen closet sit between the two bedrooms. (If you're interested in the evolution of this space and my other hallways, check out A Retrospective 2: Passageways: Entry ways, Hallways and The Stairs.) I took down our family pictures this summer so we could paint.

While that project dragged on and on, Jenny Komenda posted something about picture ledges and vintage Martha Stewart.

Hey, I have picture ledges, I thought. At least, I hoped I did. Who knows, I may have decluttered them by now: I'd last used them in 2007 in the dining room.

But, I found them and dumped them in my bedroom.


Those are the pictures sitting on the chair just inside our bedroom.


Then, someone else mentioned that picture ledges were the "new" gallery walls--and I was sold. Plus, it's a great way to handle pictures especially for old walls like ours.

It took me about a half hour--most of the time was spent trying to find the right sized drill bit. It took an extra set of hands to help me, though. My husband helped me with the first shelf and my son with the second.

Ta da!


I pulled out about a dozen books or so I knew we didn't want anymore. I can't help it.

I know the whole thing isn't centered on that wall--but that's OK: put that bookshelf any closer to the right doorway and I start to feel constricted getting out that door.

I'm not sure how I feel about the mix of black ledges up top and white bookcase below. What do you think?

Read the next entry in this series Day 27: The Laundry Room. (Oh dear). Oops, that should have been Day 26: Declutter Magazines/Books/Bookshelves

********************************************************
If you enjoyed this post, be sure to catch them all. Sign up to have each post delivered to your e-mail.







*********************************************************

5 comments :

t said...

Looks nice and I don't mind the mix of black and white.

MMarie said...

Alana, i LOVE the new look! Its so clean and definitely looks less cluttered, though i also liked your collage of frames!

Alana in Canada said...

t--thank you! I'm glad you like the black and white, too.

MMarie--it is more streamlined, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

Huge improvement! It looks less cluttery. I think the black and white look fine because there are white frames to tie them together.

Alana in Canada said...

Thanks, Anonymous. Good point about the white frames.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...