Friday, May 24, 2013

Project 24: Hang the Measuring Spoons

It's like a family that grew too big for its house.


These are my measuring spoons all in one basket in my "baking" drawer. It looks organized. It really isn't. Try finding 1/2 teaspoon in a hurry.

I saw this a long, long time ago, on Pinterest.

 
When my husband bought me these snazzy measuring spoons at Christmas, I asked him to make me something to hang them up.
 
 
 
Originally we were going to put them on the door of the cupboard which holds all my baking stuff.
 
 
Since the door here is solid wood, a few small screws would hold up the wood just fine.
 
 
 
 
My husband got this far in the project when I asked him if he was going to paint it. Um, no, he hadn't considered that. So, I told him to leave it with me and I would look after it.
 
ahem.
 
While I procrastinated, I realised I'm not doing a lot of baking anymore--but I am doing a lot of cooking with spices. I decided to move them over to the cabinet over the stove. So, I did, even though the thermo foil door here made me very nervous.
 
 
 
The first time, I put them in the wrong place. I didn't take into consideration how far they would stick out from the door. When I "tested" their placement, I just held the spoon against the door. With the handle of the measuring spoon flush with the door there wasn't any problem. But, once they were on the hooks, they extend 3/4 of an inch (or about 2 cm) from the door and the door wouldn't close. So, I drilled everything again and hung them higher.
 
 
 
I covered up my mistakes with contact paper--not just because it looks nicer, but to protect it. I've learned from bitter experience that once that laminated seal over the pressboard (or whatever it is) is broken, that pressboard just wants to expand whenever it gets wet. Paint won't stick to either surface without an excellent primer, so contact paper seemed the best choice for an area that only needs light cleaning. Then again, it is above the stove and it does get steamed a lot. I hope I haven't ruined the cabinet door.
 
 
 
I didn't label it though I wanted to. I can't figure out how to do fractions (or even how to make a space between characters)!  But it doesn't matter. I'll be shocked if the measuring spoons even make it to the door instead of in the drawer where their brothers and sisters are still hanging out.
 
 
 
 
 
At the end of the month, I'll be making a list of all the projects I've done during May's Anti-procrastination Project.

 

2 comments :

onshore said...

I doubt that you could have ruined the door.
Looks nice and very organised. We have all the measuring spoons in a ring loop. It's easy to find what I'm looking for, but it's not that easy to clean. I basically have to wash all the spoons after I've used just one.

Colleen said...

looks great! have you considered getting rid of all the extra measuring spoons now that you have this new set so beautifully displayed?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...