Thursday, June 19, 2008

Apology: I think I've been confused.

I'm not sure how the minor vertical axes made it into this diagram, but I'm not sure I care.

As I drove to the grocery store (I love driving, I truly think I do my best thinking alone in the (quiet) car) I realised I have two competing ideas floating about in my head--and both have to do with axes, or "line of sight."

I'm not sure how to put this: but one involves creating the line of sight along a path: i.e, where there are no actual plantings except to the sides of the line of sight (to enframe the view and lead one down the path). The focal point is at the end of the path--or as something said in something I read today--the focal point is at the terminal end of the axis.

The other idea is that the line of sight may not be clear of plantings. In fact, the focal point in a planting bed, indeed, would not and could not be. So, the focal point "along the line of sight" would indeed terminate at the axis from the spot where you are looking, but it would be from a static spot (like out the window). These to can be "framed" and backed and so on and so forth.

The difference, obviously, is how you get to it.

So, with that set to percolate in the back of my mind, I'm off to look at more flowering shrubs.


No comments :

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...