Friday, December 30, 2011

Five Minute Friday: Open

This is an experiment I am going to try this year. I want to improve my writing. I found Five Minute Friday, hosted by Gypsy Mama a long time ago and I did not have the courage, then, to try.

But I might, now.

Gypsy Mama offers a topic each week. Here are the terms and conditions, straight from her site:

1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking.
2. Link back here and invite others to join in.
3. Most important: visit, comment, encourage the person before you.

This is my first attempt.

GO

Open.

Open doors. Open windows. Open minds. Open.

Change. Winds. Fear. Future. To be open is to be accepting, to be willing to receive what may come. But no. I want to be out in front of the change, directing it: bringing it myself.

I am scared of being open. Open is not good. ZOpen means access and there's a gate on that, thank you very much. I can't post this. I have nothing to say.

But I want this year to change me. I want to stay the same: I don't want my comforts to disappear--I want the need for them to disappear. But how can that happen with out change? Without a willingness to be open?

But, I do control the door, the window. I do stand in front of it and raise and lower it. I can be open and protected, too right?

(Wow. Five minutes is a long time).

So, maybe I can open my arms, at least, a little way. Change will come anyway whether I'm in front of it or not.

I guess that's OK.

STOP

That was awful.
Well, I suppose that just means there's room for improvement.
(I really don't want to hit publish, but I really must, mustn't I?)

5 comments :

Val said...

It was NOT awful!!! It was lovely. It was entirely relateable. It's where so many of us are so much of the time. You were open to Five Minute Friday.... I'll open my arms a little with you. It's amazing how grace sweeps in even the little cracks we leave and brings restoration and new spacious things.

Jendi said...

I agree that it was NOT awful. In fact I had some of those same thoughts - so I'm glad you shared them.

The only time that 5 minutes felt long for me was the first time. Since then it feels way too fast!

God bless you as you work for the right kind of change.

Alana in Canada said...

You are both so kind.

I just realised that by joining you all in this process, I've also joined a community. I hadn't realised that until I read your comments.

Thanks for the warm and wonderful welcome.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, definitely not awful. I usually get three sentences out and my beeper goes off. Unlike my kid's time-outs which are also five minutes and seem to go on for an eternity. Welcome!

MMarie said...

I agree with everyone else--it was really good! You did a wonderful job. Well done!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...