Monday, April 4, 2011

Hybrid Cure, Week One: Diagnosis, Vision and Planning

In my early twenties, I stayed with my Aunt for a few weeks during the summer while I looked for an apartment. I found it so odd that one night every week she would announce to her family: "the cleaning lady is coming tomorrow! Everybody, clean up!"

But, though I don't have a cleaning lady, I understand it now. I am planning on doing this big Spring Cleaning project--but before I begin, I shall have to clean the house!

All four of us have been here all week and we haven't lifted a single finger to stay on top of ourselves. Well, OK, I did do dishes--but only on an as-needed basis. So, the first thing I need to do is tidy up. Clear the surfaces, do all the dishes, sweep, swish and swipe. Then I can get on with the Grand Plans, below.

Here is part of the Grand Plan for this week:

Diagnosis:
Read pages 1 - 51 of Apartment Therapy, The Eight Week Cure, by Maxwell Gillingham Ryan (M G-R).

On pages 42 to 44, there's "The Interview." It's a series of questions designed to help you define what you want from your home.

On page 48 is a quiz designed to pinpoint problems in your home.

I will do both and report the results of the quiz and anything that may be pertinent from the Interview. I don't like the interview. I never have, but that has more to do with the fact that I refuse to pick favourites than with the interview itself.

Vision:
Read Chapter One.
Create a mission statement for my home. Post images which illustrate it.

Planning:
Create cleaning checklists for each room.
Make up a repair list for each room.
Post daily de-clutter spots.

Each will be posted on Sunday or Monday as the week for each room comes up.

Preparation:
Clean out existing Out-box.
Make up menus for the month. Shop on Tuesday for pantry and freezer items.
Create a "Cure" binder or file to house mission statement, checklists, pictures, measurements, etc.

So, based loosely on AT's Eight Week Cure, here's the plan for my own hybrid:

Week One: Whole house, plan repairs and cleaning chores, create vision, prepare.

Week Two: Kitchen, clean, declutter, repairs.

Week Three: Front and back entries, interior and exteriors (weather permitting). Clean, declutter, organize and pack away winter stuff. Tackle closets.

Week Four: Living Room, thoroughly clean (including sofas and chairs), declutter, swap out winter decor for summer.

Week Five: Dining Room/Home Office: clean, declutter, deal with computer files.

Week Six: Bathrooms (up and down): clean, declutter, price repairs.

Week Seven: Bedroom, clean, declutter, create vision for make-over. Build headboard. Switch out winter/summer clothes, weather permitting.

Week Eight: Laundry Room and Storage spots in basement--make sure everything is cleared out and areas are clean and tidy.

I'm so happy some of you want to join me. Looking forward to hearing about your plans.

2 comments :

scb said...

It is so good to have a hands-on leader! I like the way you're heading with this. I will tweak the weekly goals with my own needs in mind and will do a post in the near future.

Lauren said...

Good luck! Sounds like the makings of a genius plan.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...