Thursday, July 15, 2010

UYL: The Evening Edition

Thursday evening: The Home Office.

Here's a shot of my "home office" in use. I took this earlier today while I was composing the first post.


I refuse to call this cluttered. Yes, there's a lot of stuff on it: but it is all there for a reason. I am using, or about to use every item. Well, except for the papers stacked in the top left corner. See those? Just under the phone? That's my "paper collection system" (yes, a stack can be part of a system.) And it is, admittedly, a wee bit out of control.

So, this evening, I set the timer and worked on it specifically. I cannot praise Aby's course, Paper Clutter enough. It has revolutionized my paper handling: and it doesn't scare me half as much as it used to. I was able to put away every single piece I handled in two minutes or less (except for a checque I wrote to charity, that may have taken three). The pile looks appreciably smaller, doesn't it?


As for the rest of the items, I simply put them away. The paper left out, under my water, is simply two lists: my errand list and a "to do" list. I do have a home for them: I'm just not in the habit of using it just yet! Some call it a "Tickler"--I just call it the binder with the birds on it.




On the agenda tomorrow is scheduling--and living with clutterbugs. The weekend looks interesting, too, but I am going to take a hiatus from this project. We're going camping (yes, again! I just got the sleeping bags rolled up and the suitcases put away!). We're going somewhere we've never been--and it is only 1/2 hour out of town! The plan is to leave Friday evening and come home Sunday afternoon. I went and got groceries tonight--and I'll be getting ready most of the day tomorrow. Though, I may take time to declutter something for 15 minutes!

It has been absolutely wonderful to focus so intensely--and yes--so briefly on my home. I have got a lot of things cleared away and sorted out and I've plenty of breathing room--for the moment.

Have you noticed the book does not address closets or drawers? None of the hidden spaces (except in the kitchen) are discussed at all--and I'm not sure what to make of that. I think it's unfortunate, but like Apartment Therapy, (the book), the agenda of this one isn't quite as obvious as you might think. UYL is more about systems than things...as it should be. I just wish the closets had been included somehow. They really are part and parcel of the whole system of maintaining a house that supports a "remarkable life."

But let's not end on a down note. Not when I'm feeling so upbeat and energized. Creating space is so liberating! Go free some stuff today.

No comments :

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...