Friday, September 28, 2007

Day 3.5(b) Progress!



This was yesterday. (Yep, that's the seven year old trying to get into the picture).
Today, that bookcase is completely empty. Except for a few decorative plates, the China cabinet is empty. The three 100 year old IKEA pine units on the East wall are not only empty but GONE from the room. (One is going straight to the garbage. The other two, I want to find a home for in the basement). The shelves beside the old units are empty. The shelves above the desk are almost empty.
What isn't and needs to be is (1) the dining room table, (2) the kitchen table and (3) the computer desk, where my typing on the keys makes quite a clack...and almost...an echo in my now spacious, empty red womb of a room.

Why do I need to empty the kitchen table? Well, it's the smallest and lightest of the three pieces, so I want to move it to the basement so I can set up the computer on it. Then, I have to move the dining room table into the kitchen so (1) we have a table to eat on, but more importantly, (2) I have space in the middle of the dining room to put the remaining furniture: the china cabinet, the computer desk (and drawers) and the fugly green bookcase (which will be white in about 48 hours from now--hooray!).

But all this moving depends on the hubby and the poor man is working both of his days off this week. (Usually he works only one.) So, though I'm feeling great with having emptied out the room, the actual painting may have to wait a few more days. I don't care.

I have a table to sand and stain and varnish (yep, the "little round table" project continues, you can see a corner of it in the lower left of the picture above), a bookshelf and the drawer supports and even a few shelving boards to paint while I wait. If I get really ambitious, I can do the trim.
Oh and the kitchen chairs are DONE! They look pretty spiffy too. I'll post a pic as soon as I have one.
 (It may take a while.)

Thanks everyone for helping me through my funk yesterday. I can't tell you how much it meant to me. As I was hunting down my chocolate last night, I realised how different writing the blog is from just straight journal writing. With the journal, I write things out and they tend to go away enough so I can carry on. But with the blog, the issues aren't "gone" until someone comments. Although that sort of leaves me "hanging" out there a bit, it's not a bad thing. It's how one builds relationships, right?

Anyway, enough sap.
On With The Cure!

8 comments :

scb said...

Wow! You've done a lot. Yay for getting the shelves packed up (or rather, the stuff on the shelves)... and all that painting and staining -- just wow. I can't even imagine doing such projects.

(Yes, I'm back in the land of the living -- the cold is nearly gone and I can't use it as an excuse any more. Sorry I caused you concern. I now realize that after last year's cure where I had Mother-health crises a few times, that you would think something similar had happened, but everything's okay on that front (at the moment...)

I just put a post on my blog, nattering on about my storage room and my landing strip, so I'm back in the Cure business. Thanks for checking on me, in your comment on my snuffle-post. It's good to have friends. :)

Poppy Frock said...

You really are making progress! You are an inspiration....I am working my way through the deep treatment, but am about a week behind.

drwende said...

Go go go!

You're getting an amazing amount done.

The thing with comments is, it's validation that you're not crazy.

Alana in Canada said...

Wende--are you sure about that?

scb said...

In answer to Wende and Alana -- at least the comments are an affirmation that you're not alone in this madness we call "The Cure" ...

(I was thinking the other day, unless people are indoctrinated Curers, they'd likely have a hard time understanding posting about doing housework and repairs, and having fun at it, and having a cheering section for it!)

You rock, girl!

Mella DP said...

It's a journal that talks back! Cool! This is lots of fun, though, and it is good to have friends along the road. (It did occur to me that perhaps I'd made more friends in Canada then in Illinois since moving here...)

But you're doing a fantastic job - lots of big projects look like the end of the world somewhere in the middle, before they emerge into spectacular success. I wish I had half your energy!

Jessica said...

I like that Mella, "a journal that talks back"...so true...and it does make you feel less crazy about being excited that you mopped the floor...

Alana keep up the good work, that's an impressive list..

Goose said...

Dude, you are an inspiration!!
Holy Cow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...