Thursday, September 20, 2007

Day 2.4 Meditation of Chairs and Paint.


This is ridiculous.

Mint green, teal, light blue, another light blue, pastel purple, pink, red--and yes, another red, almost identical, and a whole quart of yellow (the wrong yellow, of course). (I'm not even going to mention the testers--can you say "off white" fifteen times? There. Now I've told you.)

These are just the tins of paint I've brought upstairs for consideration. There's a whole bunch still down there not even in contention.

The outer "ring" (I don't know what you call it) of my Windsor chairs have become quite dinged up. I love the look of chairs painted different colours: but doing the whole chair would be too much in my tiny kitchen. So, I figured painting the outer rims in different colours, since they need painting anyway, should satisfy my craving for variety--and it would be cheap, using what we had on hand. But we do not have the "right" colours on hand.

Look at this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/78948648@N00/423923382/
This is the style of chair I cannot find for less than $75.00--and these are the colours I am in love with. Orange. Green. Blue. Yellow. Do I have these? No.

One possible combination: light blue, pastel purple, pink, light yellow. But that's a kid's room, not a kitchen.

Another which only involves buying two colours: orange, red, medium blue/teal, green.

or, another (two): mustard yellow, red, light blue, green.

What do you think I should do?
added note: I tried mixing a few to get the colours I want, but the pigments are too weird. They don't work like craft paint. Hey--maybe that's an idea?

7 comments :

Mella DP said...

I like orange/red/teal/green. But that's partly because I don't like yellow much. And since the project itself is a bit on the outlandish side (in a good way, of course) you're probably looking for more of a bold look than the pastels would give you.

Alana in Canada said...

Thanks Mella.

Well, I have the "light blue" just painted on--and the soft yellow: I'm not liking either. I think you're right and I need to go darker.

I like your combo.

Colleen said...

if you are only painting the outer ring, can you use the little sample pots from Benjamin Moore for example? It would of course be better not to have to buy paint, but it does always seem that the colors we hang onto never work when we're looking for help on small projects...

I agree about going darker by the way- I don't think pastels will provide the necessary pop.

Anne At Large said...

I'd use the red and buy the sample sizes of orange and green that you want, you shouldn't need much if you're only doing the outer rim. With the colors in your kitchen picture here, I would rather see those than yellow for some reason.

Alana in Canada said...

Thanks. The pastels are pretty wishy-washy. And no yellow? I've been looking at the pale stuff wondering if that's the problem--but maybe it's just too much of the same thing: no pop, no zing. So, red, orange, blue and green. Hmm.

BM sample pots are $5. You can see why I might hesitate a bit.

Jessica said...

I agree, i think you need rich bold colors so that it will look less childish and more...well bold...

To be honest I'd go with just one color- maybe the blue? Something that's already in the room to tie things together, rather than adding additional colors...

scb said...

I'm with the "bolder colors" group. I'm not adventurous enough to want to paint each chair a different color... wait a minute, that's not true. I could *want* to paint each chair a different color, but I'm not adventurous enough to actually *do* it. Problem is, my choice of colors would be like a kid's bright-colored room.

Maybe one bright, solid color is the way to go (you've likely got them all done by now, I'm late weighing in). You may have noticed I love red. I could do chairs what were all red rims... ... ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...