Friday, December 18, 2015

The Completely Non-Threatening, Unintimidating Christmas Home Tour*




Hey there.

It's Christmas.

I love peeking into people's houses when they are all lit up and the drapes aren't drawn yet.

Welcome.

I've lit the candles for you.
(It seems I went a bit overboard on the candles this year. Craving light and warmth, right now)




Let me shoo that puppy off the couch for you.


That's our beagle, Stomp. We got him for Christmas eight years ago, now.

He likes to pull the cushions down and nest.

I would say I'm not a big decorator for Christmas: but just look at this place!



I was going to keep it simple, but it got away on me.

It's overloaded.

Let's start with the faux fireplce. I'd love to have a fire, but it's really no big deal. I love our scholarly monk there.

ooh, just noticed that dust. Sorry about that.  I'll have to have a word with the maid.

The mirror on the mantle has been tucked away for over a year. I wanted to bring back a little sparkle--and bounce around what little light we have in the winter.

I made that sign a few years ago. 

My husband loves nutcrackers.



We have these amazing vintage wax decorations.



I picked up some gorgeous Christmas flowers from the grocery store.



I tried to get some poinsettas but I forgot them at work and someone bought them before I could get back to get them. After that, I didn't see any I liked at a price point I liked.

These ornaments are leftovers from decorating the tree. I put some hangers at the bottom of the bowl if you want to hang one up.



I wanted plaid pillows quite badly this Christmas--but I took a lesson from my fall pillow fiasco


I bought a set of napkins to make envelope pillow covers. But when I draped the napkins over the large pillows at each end, I felt overwhelmed. And I found that I really liked the navy with the grey--so I left it alone! Instead, I decided just to cover my center pillow. (I'll have a tutorial on that soon.) I love the little dash of plaid. 

I put the remnant in the tray on the coffee table.

My son made the gumball tree a couple of years ago for me.




The tree is a bit of a hodge podge. Very traditional with coloured lights, candy canes and a ribbon chain garland. My daughter and I made that, one year. 

My aunt Robin made the tree skirt many, many years ago.

On the other side of the room, above the TV, we have what my husband considers perhaps the most important symbol of Christmas. The creche.

Yep, you guessed it. My husband made the stable, oh, probably 17-18 years ago, now.

Whew.

Let's move into the kitchen and have some hot chocolate.
How's that for a simple hot chocolate station?

The secret is adding the marshmallows and a jar of spoons! The hot chocolate mix is pretty much a winter staple.

The table is super simple with a bowl of fruit and some candles and plants. I have become rather fond of Mr. Owl.

That's paper narcissus waiting to erupt from that mound of moss back there.


Let's take it into the dining room.


I got that plaid tablecloth at Homesense for $10.

It's hella cold out there.

It was snowing on and off all day.


It's Christmas time.


*or your money back!

Linking to the Nester's #ItDoesn'tHaveToBePerfectToBeBeautiful Christmas Annual Tour of Homes.


************************************************** 


If you'd like to visit again, I'd love to welcome you. Please consider this your invitation. Enter your e-mail address below to have each post delivered to your e-mail.





**************************************************

11 comments :

2ndheartmom said...

I love your home. It is rare I see something online that doesn't make my house feel like a closet in comparison! Your home is REAL and BEAUTIFUL. It makes me feel like maybe mine can be too (mine is way more REAL than beautiful right now). I love your little touches of decorating - the photo above the dining room table, the reader on the stack of books in front of the fireplace, the photo arrangement above the couch. And your Christmas decorations are also simple, but special. So, thanks for the inspiration!

Unknown said...

I like how it looks like your ball o' dog is slowly rotating over the course of the pictures.

Your decorations are lovely! I like the tidy, vintage sort of theme everything has.

(also, is it just me or do there seem to be fewer poinsettias around this year? I've only seen a few battered, glitter-covered displays myself. I like your bouquet better anyway. Makes me think of ~the country~ :D )

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

It all looks lovely. I love seeing homemade stables. My husband also made ours probably 40 or so years ago.

Happy Christmas to you and your family ~ FlowerLady

Alana in Canada said...

Sue--thanks for saying that! I am sure your home isn't a closet, lol! (Though, I admit, when I see my daughter's friends' houses I used to long for their big houses--until I realised how much cleaning I'd have to do, lol!)

Anastasia--I don't get it with the poinsettas this year either. Glad you liked the dog.

Oh Lorraine, that's wonderful!Happy Christmas to you, too.

annette said...

I love your place! it seems so homey and real!! i am from Canada too - on the west coast were it does not snow so much and i wish that it did. i especially LOVED your Peters driv in picture in the eating area. my family loves that place - a must stop in calgary. thanks for sharing your home and merry christmas

Alana in Canada said...

Oh, fabulous, Annette. I wondered if anyone might recognize that photo! My daughter absolutely loves your part of the world, rain and all.

Luisa in Dallas said...

Wow, everything is so pretty and welcoming! I would totally invite myself over if I were not in Texas and if it were not snowing (in Dallas "snow" equals emergency! hunker down! no driving!).

Love the post title, by the way.

Anonymous said...

Your home home looks festive and cozy! Love the Peter's picture too! That's one of the things I miss about Calgary. Hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas!

Jen

Sarah Jasson said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
alicajohn said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...