Mom sewing away on the Kenmore she bought when I was born.
What an incredible and wonderful five weeks it has been. Like everyone else in the One Room Challenge, hosted by Linda of Calling It Home, both invitees and insane party crashers alike (known as "linking participants" in more refined parts of town) I am exhausted.
And I'm not done.
Rather, I should say, "we." We're not done--and my Mom is actually quite relieved. She felt rushed by the deadline I imposed upon her for this challenge--and it led her to stay up late nights, and in her words, make foolish mistakes with the sewing. No, she feels she can continue at a more natural and easier pace. So, stay tuned! I will post again at the Calling it Home's linking participant final reveal page.
She told me tonight she's really excited to be moving into such a glamourous room. She's anxious to see what it will look like --as am I (though I think for different reasons!).
Were we too ambitious?
After all, we decided not only to do over a bedroom while DIYing all but the light fixtures (and I even thought I might do that at one point) but also to take out the closet, rewire switches and put up new drywall. Then, when I was over the other day to put up the curtain rod, Mom reminded me her window doesn't close properly. (Apparently it never has since she had her renovations done over twenty years ago. I wish we had addressed that when we had the room all torn up five weeks ago!)
Any way, here is where we are at now:
the faux barnboard mirror frames and the legless headboard
The headboard is done except for attaching the legs.
The mirror frames are finished. My husband did a fabulous job!
The bench is done.
gah--I hate all those pulls in the fabric! It was a slippery beast. This was our original choice for the headboard. Thank goodness we didn't use it for that!
One support for the curtain rod is up.
I thought I had found a stud--but when I drilled, I didn't hit anything. From long, frustrating experience, both Mom and I know that we need to use really good anchors. and I mean, really good anchors--so I had to interrupt myself for the billionth run to Home Depot this week. Then, of course, I ran out of time.
The nightstands still need to be assembled, (though I did get the handles attached, finally. Drills lowon juice don't actually work all that well! It took me a half hour just to do two drawers.) The pendant lights need to be wired in and hung.
As for the sewing, the pillows are finished.
Mom says she made an error in making the duvet cover, so she had to rip it all out and start over. That's the bad news. The good news is that she now has enough fabric to make the pillow cases.
The bedskirt is almost finished. She's visiting me on a break at work tomorrow to show me the trim she's considering.
The drapes may or may not be done. That depends on what sort of treatment we're giving the heading.
So, Friday, I hope to be able to pull all the different bits and pieces together and make a gorgeous glamorous room.
I hope it makes her cry (for happiness, of course!)
Do visit the other linking participants too see some incredible room makeovers!
If you'd like to catch up from the start, here are the weekly progress reports:
Week 1: "Before."
Week 2: Demolishing the closet
Week 3: Working with Inspiration
Week 4: Eeek Week
Week 5: Cross Your Fingers