Monday, January 21, 2013

Weight-Loss Wardrobe

My love has been locked in a tower, swallowed whole by a wolf, poisoned by an apple and left to sleep it off.

What could be so colourfully dormant? What could be waiting, languishing for its rescuer?

Are you ready to meet my long lost love?

Clothes.

Not just any bunch of t-shirts, turtlenecks, jeans, and straight skirts, though, no: I have those. What has been waiting for me all my life is my ideal wardrobe--a miraculous collection of just the right tops and the right bottoms which pair up to create endless variations, just like the right set of notes create all the necessary movements in a musical piece.

I had been going to wait until I reached my mythical, ideal weight. Last week, I realised I didn't have too. I've lost enough weight, now, that I have enough options to actually choose something I like instead of settling for something I merely need. (Though, as I expect to continue to lose weight, I will continue to wear some items even though they may be a size too big. It's when they're three sizes too big that I'll begin to replace them.)

Since I was in the military reserves in my late teens and handed a ready-made (though ugly) minimalist wardrobe, I have been captivated by capsule wardrobes. Capsule wardrobes are made up up of the minimum number or pieces in any category (tops, bottoms, and layers) to give maximum versatility.

I studied this one created by Imogen Lamport, at Inside Out Style blog for a "Busy Mum.". (She is absolutely fabulous at this, by the way.)


Tops:
Wear-anywhere top
3 T Shirts: stripe, solid, tank.

Bottoms:
Jeans,
Canvas Skirt

Layers:
2 cardigans, each fabulous.

Accessories:
2 scarves
2 necklaces
bangles
Leather shopping tote

Footwear:
Boots
Ballet flats
Sandals

These pieces, before you even change out the accessories, she promises, offer 22 different looks. I love the efficiency of this concept, not to mention how economical it is.

The "new Mum" Capsule is simply fabulous, too. You can easily see how everything will mix effortlessly. It doesn't include accessories.
 
 
Imogen explains how capsule wardrobes work--and how to construct one-- in her free e-book, Your 5 Step Formula for a Fabulous Wardrobe. Highly recommended.
 
This is exactly the concept of my weight-loss wardrobe.
 
To be continued...
 
 
(This is a cross-post with my weight-loss and self-image blog, my psyche my soma.)
 

4 comments :

Lisa @ Lisa Moves said...

I love this idea of the minimalist wardrobe. Have you ever done those 30-piece wardrobe challenges? (same concept, only thirty pieces of clothing allowed in your wardrobe, including shoes). I prefer as little variation as possible, which is probably why I have the 8 of the same dress in different colors.

Alana in Canada said...

8 Dresses is a fabulous concept. I once read about having a wardrobe consisting of ten--you're almost there, Lisa!

thefarmersdaughter said...

I love this concept...even though I can't imagine myself doing it. Although, looking at my wardrobe, almost everything I wear is based off of a pair of jeans, a black or white t shirt and a jacket or sweater.
Maybe I could do this after all....

Imogen Lamport said...

Thanks so much for linking to my blog and your kind comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...