Thursday, January 3, 2013

The Surfaces in the Kitchen


The kitchen is an awkward space. It's been even more awkward since October when I changed my eating habits. I wasn't sure what would stick, wasn't sure what I would need. And while I don't have every answer, I have enough to begin to make my storage challenged kitchen more functional.

Take my kitchen cart beside the stove for example.


Those glass canisters held white rice and brown rice. Once we finished the rice sometime back in October, I didn't buy any more. So, I washed out the jars and repurposed one of them. It now holds hot chocolate mix.

The basket used to hold onions. Those are now in the old potato bucket in the cupboard. (Yep, no more potatoes.) This is reserved for our new starches: sweet potatoes and squash.

One other small change: my frying pans. I asked for cast iron for Christmas and we managed to find some for 60% off! Boo rah. I am so happy not to have to use my teflon. But, they don't fit properly in the drawer under the oven like the old ones did. We'll try them here and see if it works.



This little shelving unit to the right of the stove got a thorough clean and re-think, too.




As of yesterday:



The only change on my kitchen counter top proper was the removal of the bright red container that held my sweet'n'low (and a bunch of stuff that didn't belong there anyway). Both hubs and I are drinking our coffee black now. It is amazing how much calmer the counter seems without it.

(Last week)


(Today)


I cleaned the top of the microwave, the top of the fridge, the toaster and the shelves which hold my dishes.


(A gratuitous shot of sunshine.)


That's it. It was an easy week. Next week will be tougher. I plan to tackle my cupboards, inside and out, top and bottom. I'm really looking forward to it.

Linking to someone new to me, Delightful Order.


3 comments :

Cherry Warrick said...

Linking up after you at Delightfully Inspiring Thursdays - great work with your kitchen counters! It's always fun to reorganize, and use space for the best purposes.

thefarmersdaughter said...

looking good!
My kitchen and pantry is getting a facelift in Feb. or so...... I can't wait to see what you do with yours!

onshore said...

I think cleaning and organizing is the best when you do not just put everything back as they were but actually change something. That way it's a bigger achievement.
Looks good!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...