Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Let's Play Pretend, Part 2.

I misunderstood the assignment.

I was supposed to have put together a room featuring pieces from the mid-century modern collection at Chairish.

Instead. I got so caught up in all the unique and unusual things that I just went off and created something totally off the wall.

Since it is poor etiquette in blogland to remove posts once they're published, I figured I'd just do another.

So, a dining room.

For rooms to be successful, there needs to be just the right balance of contrast and unity to create a harmonious whole.

What's "just right"? Well, that is a matter of personal taste. I happen to like a lot of contrast.

This credenza,


with its white top, sides and base (with hairpin legs) and natural wood front delivers soft colour contrast.

A white Saarinen tulip table harmonizes with the white of the credenza but contrasts with it in shape and line:


Now, almost any chair at all would look good with the tulip table. It is iconic of mid-century design for a reason. 

I picked these chairs just because I liked them. They are light and delicate. 


I love this light fixture. It looks so modern. 


It's sort of spiderish--but charming, too. More Charlotte than Shelob. I love the bell shaped "shades."

We need just one more major thing to finish this room off properly.

I decided to inject a whole lot of fun colour with this 6x9 kilim. By rights we should have one that's more square, but the vibrant colours are impossible to pass up.


These pink and grey diamond lamps would be perfect on the credenza. They are nearly three feet high. Outrageous.

source

Put it in a large frame, and this page (17" x 22") from a children's book would be a lovely unexpected touch of whimsy in between the lamps.



I don't know about you, but what would you bet that's Spot curled upon the floor of that car?


A nice little collection of German bisque porcelain would finish off the Saarinen table:

source

source
source


I would enjoy sitting and chatting in this dining room, I think. Would you?

5 comments :

MMarie said...

Hi Alana,
Just checking in with you! Hope you are doing well and that your new space is coming together! Looking forward to hearing the excitement in your future post about how much you love how everything came together. No pressure at all, just wanted you to know I'm thinking of you!
Marie

Alana in Canada said...

Thanks, Marie! It has got very busy with work and things happening t my Mom's so I am not done, yet!

t said...

Thinking of you - also miss your posts and hope everything is ok.

Unknown said...

Alana, I couldn't figure out what happened because I was getting my email notifications from you. It's been wretchedly busy for me work wise and now that things have eased off I came looking for you. I hope all is well. Just a year ago I was home to Winnipeg to say my final farewells to my mom. Being so far from home (still a prairie girl after 30 years in Toronto), I never had opportunity to spend a lot of time with my mom as she grew older or to help her at home or with doctor's visits. My 4 sisters who still live in Winnipeg handled that role. Working, caring for your children, helping aging parents, and the biggest task of all......the husband....is NOT easy. Just know that I think of you as my prairie friend and you've often been on my mind.

My news? Now daughter #1 is moving to Calgary in mid-July. She sold her house here and has already bought out there. This time, a condo, as she travels (Air Canada) and is only 'home' for about 15 days a month. No more yard work or shovelling for her!! Daughter #2, my baby, has been teaching in Calgary for 6 years now. At least my middle one, the son, hasn't deserted me....yet. Daughter #1 and son were both born in SK. The West is calling them home. I loved the 5 years i spent living in S'toon!!! *sigh*

Anyway, take care and we look forward to your posts when life slows down some.

Jan

Anonymous said...

I miss your blog posts! Hope all is well and it is just the summer busyness that is keeping you from blogging!
Gina in Chattanooga, TN

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...