Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Day 2: What's it mean, anyway?

Perhaps I should have called this series, "The Philosophy of Staying Organized." I promise we will be getting to the nitty gritty soon.

We need to know what we mean by "organized." When you're organized, is your house, purse and car "magazine-ready?" Or is it a more relaxed than that--and being organized is a feeling of calm --you are on top of things-- even if the house isn't quite ready for a visit from the Queen?

Or does "being organized" mean you can make a meal without working around stuff on the counters, you can find that piece of paper at a moments notice, or you know where you keys are?

via: pinterest

This is organized: everything has a home and the space is maximized as well as being easy to use. Hooray for function!

But this, too, says "organized" to me:

via: pinterest

This says: come and relax. Everything is as it should be. This is how "being organized" feels to me.

When everything is as it should be at my house--

  • the dishes are drying
  • the bed is made
  • laundry is in progress
  • the bathrooms are clean
  • the house is picked up
  • the floors are vacuumed and swept
  • I know where those papers are (whatever they are. There's always some you need to put your hands on right away!)
  • and everything is put away.

Sort of how things were when I had my house tour in June!

What does "organized" mean to you?

ETA: You can catch all the posts in the series here.    

6 comments :

Nicole said...

Organized means I can find what I need in less than 2 minutes. But we just moved a month ago and it takes me ages to find anything! Love your topic - looking forward to following along!

Alana in Canada said...

Wow--less than 2 minutes! That's specific--and quite demanding. You must be feeling quite disorganized if you have just moved. That's tough.

onshore said...

I've been meaning to comment on all your latest posts, the 31 series and the HTCI posts, but both have so deep topics that I'm lost with words.

I'm really happy you are doing the 31 series about staying organized and maybe going through the topics from the simplify 101 again, I think it will be both good for you and for me. The workshop was not that long ago, but already I have forgotten some of it's lessons.

Unknown said...

Thanks for this post! I even linked it in my 31-days blog post today! I have to remind myself that sometimes being organized isn't this huge big complicated thing ... it just means that things are put away and not laying everywhere ... so today, I give myself permission to just do laundry ... that is enough ... and it will help me get to the goal!

Alana in Canada said...

onshore--Thanks for the encouragement. No worries about commenting! I figured you were busy with the baby.

Alana in Canada said...

April--it can be simple! It can be complicated, too--I've done that a lot too. Hooray for getting laundry done. It's a bear.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...